Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Thursday, May 25, 2017


After some deliberation, I decided to paint this one using fluid acrylics.

I put a thin line of miskit around the edges of the eggs.  I like Pebeo Drawing Gum, which is the gray line you see in the photo.  Then I put down a piece of blue painter's tape along the edge of the carton and began painting

I used a piece of sponge to get the stippling effect on the dish towel.
Now it's time for some real fun - C O L O R.  And, for me, the added fun of the preciseness of the letters!

It was also fun to mix colors to get as exact a representation of the actual colors on the carton as possible.

Thursday, May 18, 2017


One day at my local Kroger store, I spotted this carton of eggs in the cooler.  It screamed to be painted - so I had to buy it.

When I got home I placed the carton and some eggs on a dishtowel and took numerous photos and chose this one.

Once again, I ran the photo through my camera program for a line drawing which I traced onto my watercolor paper.
Then, once again, it took a lot more time to draw in more specifics before I was ready to paint.

After more drawing, from the photo, the painting is finally ready to begin.
BTW - the eggs are delicious!

Tuesday, May 2, 2017


My friend's daughter and new baby came to visit her.  So  how could I not go to see the new baby! And of course, another gift would be in order!

As I've mentioned before, I am all about the crochet right now.  So I looked through patterns that come to me via email, and I found one for little sandals.

These were just too cute not to make!!  I did make a couple of slight modifications.  I made the tie straps longer for ease of tying a little bow.  Then, the pattern called for wrapping the toe area several times, but I just used a piece of yarn, wrapped it a couple times and tied a bow.

I've got so many skeins of yarn now, in various stages of use, so I want to use up as much as I can. Since the pattern called for a double sole - yikes, the child will not be walking for months, but these soles are rugged!!! - I used yellow on the bottom and pink on top.  That way I could easily use the multi-colored yarn for the rest of the shoe and it would all coordinate.  May as well teach her about coordinating outfits early on!

Here they are - and they almost fit her little tiny feet!  In another month or so they should be right on - just in time for the summer fashion season!

The pattern for these sandals can be found at

Thursday, April 27, 2017


Shadows were added, more definition between bricks and darks inside chair backs.

The greens of the grasses and leaves started.  The chair shadows have also been darkened.
Some definition to the background foliage has begun.

Thursday, April 20, 2017


Next comes a series of layers.  It is very important to let the painting dry completely between washes.

Next I began to show the bricks with quick swipes of color.
Then more definition of the bricks and beginning to add the shadows and grass areas.

Thursday, April 13, 2017


After the drawing was finished I did pour red/yellow/blue onto the paper and let it run together.

Then I began painting around the chairs - negative painting - with an under coat the color of the bricks.

Thursday, April 6, 2017


Several  years ago I took some photos of wrought iron patio chairs at a local herb farm.  

Originally I thought I would pour this photo, but after looking it over again I decided direct painting was the way to go!

I printed out the photo in line work and enlarged it.  Even so, there is still a lot of drawing in that needs to take place before painting can begin.

Thursday, March 23, 2017


A friend who paints with me regularly was making fun of my very slow progress on these leaves . . . until . . .  she began a painting of a cactus.

Ah ha - - - she found out that, even though you set out to work in one area, you notice something that bothers you in another area, so you go over there to paint, then you realize you didn't paint the area  you thought you should paint, so you go back there, until you realize another area on the other side of the painting needs help . . . . well, you get the idea!

And, sometimes, you see a spot that needs "help", you get paint on your brush - and then find yourself sitting with your brush mid-air, having no idea where you are supposed to put the paint that is on your brush!!!

It's not as cut and dried as it looks!!!  Haha.

I think it may be done - or else I'm just done looking at it!

Thursday, March 16, 2017


Gradually  more color is added to show placement of the leaves - above and below each other.

Thursday, March 9, 2017


Moving slowly around the painting, I'm gradually adding color to the leaves.