Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Saturday, August 7, 2010

GREATER CINCINNATI WATERCOLOR SOCIETY AUGUST MEETING

On Wednesday, August 4, I gave a presentation about casein to our watercolor society.

I don’t think people realize what goes into making a presentation, unless they have done it. A couple of weeks were spent in getting 3 paintings ready to demo, in addition to some info to pass out, and something to work on for the w/s following the program. And, not to mention having to load it all into the car, from the car to the building and all back again in unbearably hot and humid weather! Thank goodness my casein paintings are lightweight and portable!  And thank goodness there were kind people there who volunteered to help - namely Les, Jean, Ritzi, Rhonda, Sally, Jo and Jane!

And then there is always the concern – a la Sally Field – “will they like me, really like me?”

I had started two paintings to work on and brought one to start so I could show the group how I typically (not "always"!) begin my paintings, whether working in w/c, fluid acrylic or casein.  Rhonda was kind enough to snap a few photos with my camera, so here are some photos of yours truly hard at work!  (Unfortunately she seems to have left off the "Raquel Welch" filter and therefore I'm not really sure who that gray haired older woman is in the photos).

First up was the beginning of a bromeliad which I had drawn out.  I wet the board and applied water and paint for my start.
Next I worked a little bit on a painting of daffodils and fruit, which I have previously painted in fluid acrylic on canvas.  I showed the group how I paint apples, pears and bananas - in preparation for the afternoon w/s.

Then on to my tea pot.  I showed them how I painted in the rim of the pot to achieve a golden ceramic color; then I painted some lace for them - again in preparation for the afternoon w/s.

Last but not least, here is a photo of a portion of the group.  We usually get 40-50 people at each meeting; sometimes the summers a few less since people will be travelling on vacations then.
I received many favorable comments on the demo and w/s afterward, so even though it was a long day, it was also a very rewarding day.

For a few photos of the w/s after the program, go to Rhonda's blog, her August 5th post!

8 comments:

Vicki Greene said...

Looks like a great demo and I would have loved to have been there.

Riya Rathore said...

i wish i would have been able to join the demo .. thanks for sharing Deb

Deb Léger said...

If I lived closer, I'd have been there for sure, Deb! Loved reading about it though. (ps if you find one of those Raquel Welch filters, I'd love to know where - I need one too. lol)

Lisa Walsh said...

LOL. Phooey on the 'Raquel filter', you don't need it. And of course they liked you. I'd love to see one of your demos in person, but for now I'll have to settle for the photographic experience. Thanks for the peek into the process.

debwardart said...

Thanks all of you.
Deb (and Lisa), if I ever find that RW filter I'm gonna buy them ALL!!!

Christiane Kingsley said...

Deb, these are great pictures...that need absolutely no filter! I also would have loved to attend your workshop.

Arti said...

Must have been quite a day!I would have loved to see you paint lace, Deb!

debwardart said...

Christiane and Arti - would love to meet you some day too!!!