Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Thursday, March 2, 2017

THURSDAY W I P

This painting is from a photo taken a few years ago out my living room window.  The sun was hitting the branches of the oak tree, making them glow.  Not sure I will be able to capture that completely, but here goes!

First I traced the photo (I know, cheating . . . ) but - then it took me several hours to carefully compare the photo to the tracing, adding and erasing lines as necessary, until I had all of the leaves.

Then I added the blue sky and greens of possible leaves in the background.

And, by the way, the paper used here is a print paper, not technically a watercolor paper.  It has the properties of hot press w/c paper, and is acid free.  Sometimes I like to use different papers, just to try them out.


3 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Looking good! I'm surprised you're painting on printmaking paper - don't you find it absorbs the watercolor too much? Going to call and apologize for missing your Wednesday program - I really really intended to be there but the weather had other ideas :(

laura said...

I can tell already that this is going to be spectacular!
And btw I don't think of tracing as cheating ... Sometimes I freehand draw, other times I use my projector: each has benefits and drawbacks, I think.

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Deb - This painting is looking very promising. I love the colors of blue you chose for the sky. Really sets off those warmer colors of the leaves. Take care and have a super day.