Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Thursday, November 18, 2010

HYDRANGEA - 1

This is an attempt to utilize some of the info I learned at the Nick Simmons w/s this spring.
I am using the “cell painting” idea – painting each little area by itself. I love doing this although it takes a while!

11 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

Hi Deb! Are you doing each "cell" wet-in-wet? Can't wait to see the finished painting.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

This is going to be lovely. The colors are beautiful .. they look like they are fun to paint with. It will be a joyful painting I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea! The painting is already looking so pretty! I'll have to put that idea in to my "to do" projects.

Barbra Joan said...

oh Deb,, this is fantastic. I've painted these but not anything like this.. They are not easy to do.

debwardart said...

Dear Studio (sorry can't find your name!) - yes, wet in wet.
Nancy - I like to do "tedious" paintings!
Karsten and Barbra Joan - try it, you'll like it!
Thanks to all for your comments.

debwardart said...

Kathryn!!!! Found it (sorry!) - and one wants to know - what are "sundry" animals!!!!! LOL!

Christiane Kingsley said...

Deb, what a coincidence! I have just downloaded a picture of hydrangeas from WetCanvas. However, I will not be doing mine in wet-in-wet if I ever get to it:-)
Your painting looks beautiful already - gorgeous colors and I love how they mingle so softly.
I love "tedious" paintings also:-) I find them restful.

debwardart said...

Christiane - you are my kind of gal! Funny how often people are drawn to the same subject, but all the paintings are very different. Good luck with the hydrangeas!

RH Carpenter said...

Hydrangeas are beautiful and you're starting with some delicious colors here, Deb :) I was expecting blue/violet ones like I've done but you fooled me (and it was a nice surprise).

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

I remember how intricate this particular flower is to paint and after putting down some very detailed florets near the front, ended with simple washes in the background - otherwise it would have taken a life time!!! So I wish you well with this mammoth task if you plan to do the 'cell' painting throughout. It will look stunnning though.

debwardart said...

Rhonda, I couldn't top yours! This was from a photo taken in late fall and they had faded out into some interesting colors.
Joan - I've tried these before but not this large, otherwise your way would be better!