Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Monday, March 14, 2011

NOT JUST FOR NEWBIES* - WATERCOLOR PENCIL LIGHTHOUSE DEMO - 9

I’m ready to put some shadows onto the buildings, so I’m using the gray pencil again. Above I am wetting the tip and below you can see that I have colored in some small shadow shapes. They look a bit dark because the color is more intense when you draw with a wet tip.


Above, I have painted over the shadow shapes with a wet brush . . . .
And below I have blotted those areas with a tissue to lift some of the excess paint.

Above, I have used the gray pencil on the lighthouse. This time I have colored a line slightly off center, and then wet it with the brush and pulled the color out on either side of the gray line.

4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

OK, I admit it, you're making me want to get out my watercolor pencils and do something serious with them...

Christiane Kingsley said...

Very interesting demo, Deb. I gave a set of watercolor pencils to my mother as a gift last year, but I don't think that she has used them. I will try to borrow them from her one of these days to try and follow your demo. Thank you for sharing your expertise so generously with all.

debwardart said...

Rhonda - just add this to your list of "to dos"!
Christiane - you are an Indian Giver!! Maybe you two can work on this project together.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Good series of instructional posts Debs. In case you don't get back to my iris comments, thought you'd like to know that Lana Vanguard is a French version of the American YUPO and much easier to source here in England.