Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Saturday, March 12, 2011

NOT JUST FOR NEWBIES* - WATERCOLOR PENCIL LIGHTHOUSE DEMO - 8

I used a drybrush technique over some of the grass area.
*Newbie Alert – drybrush is a misnomer. Your brush isn’t really dry, it’s just slightly damp. To create the drybrush effect in watercolor, you can dip your wet brush into paint, then take a tissue and hold it to the base of your brush, absorbing most of the water in the brush, then swipe across your painting using the side of your brush. Alternatively, you can wet your brush, then wipe it with a tissue to absorb most of the water, then dip it into fairly dry paint and swipe across your painting using the side of your brush.
On this painting I wiped my brush across the tip of a wet w/c pencil and then swiped it across the painting.
While the tape was still on, I darkened a few spots in the trees adjacent to the lighthouse; then I removed the masking tape. Sometimes when you remove a resist, it lifts the pencil marks, so you may have to go back over some of the shapes on the buildings or the rings around the lighthouse at this point.

No comments: