Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Friday, December 23, 2011

ORIENTAL PAINTING - 3

FINALLY - when I was convinced the drawing was what I wanted, I again traced it onto Cheap Joe’s tracing paper, had it copied again, and I was ready to begin.

First, I miskited the large kanji symbols and covered the faces.

As previously mentioned, Nick Simmons was my inspiration, so I wanted to utilize some of his techniques.

First, tossing paint! This was a dilemma, since I would have had to tape the paper up on a wall. I don’t have a place to do that! So I thought about doing it outside, but there was nothing to tape the paper to. If I leaned it up against a post it would be too low, and probably get dirty in the process. I thought about taking some small nails and tacking it up to a post, but was afraid it would fall and that would be a real mess. So I finally just laid it on the table and tossed the paint onto it. So, finally, paint on paper – yippee!!!

At this point I had an idea of colors for the flowers, and knew I wanted dark around the main face, and the main geisha to wear red and black, but no preconceived idea of other colors.

4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Can't wait to see this one come together :)

martinealison said...

J'ai hâte de voir l'évolution de ton travail...
Ce sont des encres ?...
J'aime cette façon que va apparaître ton travail. Donc tu crées ton dessin, puis tu le calques avant le reproduire sur ton papier qui a reçu la peinture...
Gros bisous et joyeux noël

Ann Buckner said...

Deb, I am enjoying reading about the planning and the steps you are taking with this painting. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Want to wish you the very best of Christmas and the coming year.

debwardart said...

Rhonda and Ann - have patience!!
Martine - these may be considered ink in Europe - they are Fluid Acrylic and can be purchased from Golden or DaVinci paints in USA. Glad you are enjoying the process!