Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Thursday, September 1, 2016

THURSDAY W I P

A friend critiqued the painting and let me know that there was a line that followed the crack in the upper white dome straight up through the bricks and off the page!  Until she said that I hadn't noticed; then it was all I could see (of course).   
I think I was able to fix it, at least make it less noticeable.  
Then I added more color to the window shutters and darkened shadows a bit more; added some more color to the top right bricks.

Then it dawned on me how dark this painting is getting.  Yikes.  Will have to decide if I want it to be lighter, as it actually was with the whitewashed brick, or if this darker is OK with me.

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

I didn't notice it either until you pointed it out lol

I think you did a good job with fixing it tho :)I think the darker brick actually make the shutters stand out more and bring out the blue colour :)

RH Carpenter said...

Darker looks good to me - it still has that washed out, old look (just like we all have at our ages! ha ha)

Deborah Nolan said...

Deb I don't think it is too dark. Love the colors and texture you are showing in this piece. The perspective and dimension is depicted so well too. Hope your weekend is wonderful