Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Art Events

This painting, Sunlit Pears 2, (Casein on watercolor board) - (previously featured on my blog) - was accepted into the Woman's Art Club of Cincinnati 115th Annual Juried Exhibition. I feel it is a strong painting and was thrilled when it was accepted into the show, even though it did not win an award.

They had 275 entries and only accepted 58 artworks - having seen the exhibition list, I'm in some very good company! A friend of mine had both of her paintings accepted into the show, and she also sold one! (I’m so happy for her!)

The show is the inaugural event at their new Woman's Art Club Cultural Center, 6980 Cambridge Avenue in Mariemont, OH, and is open Thursday-Sunday through May 18.

In addition, Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society opened our annual spring show which will continue daily through June 15 at Evergreen Retirement Center, 230 W. Galbraith Road, Cincinnati, OH. I’m happy to report that all went well from registration to opening – since I was the Chairperson this year!

The painting below is one of the paintings in the GCWS show - Frank's Apples, watercolor on Arches, and I have received several favorable comments on it - that the apples look freshly polished, that you could reach out and grab one and give it a bite! That certainly makes me feel good about it!
If you are in the Greater Cincinnati area, hope you get a chance to stop by both of these shows!

In addition, tomorrow is our Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society monthly meeting and we will have a nationally recognized, award winning artist - Steve Blackburn (www.learnwatercolors.com) - to present our program. Steve has a unique miskit and paint pouring technique that he has perfected and he creates some amazing paintings. I’m looking forward to seeing him again. I have attended 3 of his workshops (so that should tell you what I think of him!) He’s an amazing artist, great teacher and all around good person.

I’ll be bringing one of my students with me to the meeting. Her name is Valia and she is from Russia, having moved here in the past year with her American husband. She paints in acrylic and oils and wants to learn watercolor – she has a lot of talent! She is eager to meet new people and wants to find artistic outlets in the area so I thought it would be nice for her to come to one of our meetings, and get to see a great presentation, too!

No comments: