Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Blocks

I’ve been painting with fluid acrylics for well over two years, but I’m hearing more and more about them now in the art magazines. I do enjoy using them, on watercolor paper or board or on canvas. (Just can’t seem to get the hang of tube acrylics, tho.)

In any event, most of you have probably heard of Nicholas Simmons by now. Seems that he discovered a painting technique that involves painting with the fluid acrylics and then, just before the paint is dry, spraying it off so that some of the paint lifts off with the water which creates a splotchy look reminiscent of batik.

This painting, done in fluid acrylics and watercolor, utilizes the “Nicholas Simmons” technique in a few areas. It seems a bit darker than I usually paint, but I’m pretty happy with the results!

This painting is also in the Queen City Art Club’s show at Baker-Hunt in Covington, KY.

Enjoy the process!

Blocks”, ½ sheet hot pressed Arches paper with watercolors and fluid acrylics.

1 comment:

RH Carpenter said...

Deb, wish everyone could stand in front of this one and see all the luscious textures you got in it - and love that kitty on the blackboard :)