Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

CASEIN STILL LIFE - Part 1

In continuation of my still life set ups previously posted . . .
Sunlit Pears – January 1, 2008 and July 5, 2008
Sunlit Pears 2 – January 16, 2008 and May 6, 2008
Roses and Blue Fiestaware Pitcher on Quilt – March 12, 2008
Grandpa’s Shaving Mug With Roses – March 26, 2008
Bag of Apples – May 30, 2008
Pears and Lace – July 22, 2008

. . . here is another casein painting. In order to try something a little different, this painting utilizes casein emulsion in some areas to get more of an “oil painting” look to the painting.

Since I thought the cup would be the hardest thing to do, I began with it, then the flower. I was worried about how to do the book pages, but they were actually easy – just used a flat brush and swiped it along in the direction of the pages using yellow ochre. Then I added an indication of the worn edges of the binding with raw sienna “smooshed” on. Last I added areas of shadows on the lace.

I’m very pleased with the start of the painting.

1 comment:

laura said...

Looks great--beautiful pinks in the cup. And, as always, I think the way you paint lacework is phenomenal: you're a master at it!