Then I began adding the words to the books. "Longfellow" went on well, but when I looked at the blue book I couldn’t read the words I had traced, so I took a white Caran d’Ache crayon and rubbed it on the back of the words and re-traced them. (I used my computer to find the fonts that looked like those on the books, typed the book names and printed them out).
Then I realized I didn’t have the words at the correct angle, so I “erased” them from the painting, but in doing so I rubbed out some of the blue paint (you will note that little lighter smudge at the top of the book binding if you compare it to the last post). In the past I would have been really upset with myself, but I know now that sometimes these little “mistakes” can actually add to the painting. I decided to leave it alone and re-do the words once again.
Now I’m kind of happy with that mistake – I think it makes the book look even more old and worn.