Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

BLUE PITCHER AND PEARS ON LACE - Part 1

Started this one a while ago (in October!!) and let it sit while I worked on some other things. Then thought I better keep it going or it will look like two different artists painted it!
Gee – lace again – and pears too! “Who woulda thunk it!!!!”

This is fluid acrylics on watercolor board. I began by wetting the lace area and dripping in some raw sienna and let it dry. Then I started on the lace holes – which took time, of course. I’d do some and then play with the pears, just go back and forth until that portion was finished.

9 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

I'm liking the look of this already. I admire your determination with the lace bits. I think it helps to be a little teeny bit crazy to do all that! ha ha Which reminds me - I have those woolen strands still waiting to be done!

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

I can tell this is going to be a show stopper. The blue of the pitcher will be the quincher. Keep us posted.

debwardart said...

Yeah Rhonda - who is the craziest now!!!
Thanks Nancy - I'm happy with it so far - and that's always a bit scary!

Ann Buckner said...

I'm staying tuned to see where you go next with this. Lovely beginning. :)

Teresa Palomar Lois said...

Loving it! I'll be glued to this wip Deb, acrylics!

Ginny Stiles said...

Tell me a little more about how the fluid acrylics work on the watercolor board (what kind of board?) Do you just thin them down like watercolors? If so, what makes you choose acrylic over watercolor? Are the colors more intense? Or is the fact that you won't have to put this under glass?
It is yummy and have you seen Arleta Pech's work? I took a class from her one summer. Glaze, glaze, glaze and lace...oh my gosh. Try to goggle her.

Christiane Kingsley said...

Deb, this will be very nice. I like the light and shadow play on your pears.
Do you have a new blog picture or have I scrolled down too quickly in the past to see it? What a gorgeous painting and effective use of poured miskit!

debwardart said...

Hi Ann and Teresa - stay tuned!
Ginny - Crescent watercolor board. The colors are more intense and don't have to frame under glass. I think that any artist painting in more than one medium will simply choose the medium she feels is more suited for that particular painting. Yes, I have seen Arleta Pech's work.

debwardart said...

Christiane - thanks! Yes, finally figured out how to put a painting in my heading! So much to learn, not enough time!!!