Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

CIVIC GARDEN CENTER - 2


Along one of the paths is this sculpture which I’m calling a pagoda for want of a better word. It intrigued me so I took several photos which I later incorporated into one of my paintings.

An old stone building greets you just past the visitor center as you pull in. This facility sits on the grounds of what was once an estate and I’m assuming this building was where the gardener worked – or perhaps it was where a gatekeeper lived.


Once dubbed “Hospital Hill”, the Clifton area is on high ground, and is home to several hospitals as well as the University of Cincinnati and Hebrew Union College. In its heyday the area was home to some of the areas wealthy and elite, and there are numerous huge old buildings.

As I drove home I passed some of the hospitals and UC campus – and was amazed to see how many new buildings (dorms, I’m assuming) and hotels have sprung up. This has always been a busy area, due to the University and hospitals, but I can see that the surrounding area is in the midst of a resurgence of building. I guess that’s great for the local economy, but I can already see how the tone of the area is changing and how many of the beautiful old buildings have been torn down for new construction. Guess that’s the price of “progress”.

1 comment:

Kim Vanlandingham said...

Love the photos and can't wait to see how they end up in one of your paintings.