Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Thursday, July 19, 2012

CIVIC GARDEN CENTER - BITS AND PIECES


This painting is inspired by design elements that I saw as I walked around the facility. Lately I’ve been basing some of my work on patterns and when I saw the pagoda I thought it had some great patterns in it that I could work into a painting – ditto the windows of the stone hut.

I decided to combine those design elements into a little "painted collage" - hope my ideas work!

I drew a design from the pagoda around the border of the piece and added the window from the stone hut - that building fascinates me!  I also liked the hydrangea bloom and added it in, taking one "floweret" and placing it into the window space.  Then I misketed the whites, wet the canvas and swiped on blues and yellows and browns, then as the piece dried I spattered various color with a toothbrush.

As soon as I started defining some of the "x" shapes, I realized I'd forgotten about the ones inside the window area, and quickly added them.  I also began adding some yellow to the flower center.

I began adding greens and some shadows.

4 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Love this start! Very different and exciting.

Vicki Greene said...

You are so creative. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

RH Carpenter said...

I like where you're going with this and how you've taken bits and pieces and created something new and interesting :) Love that sap green!

debwardart said...

Thanks ladies - I couldn't get too excited about the idea for this show since, when I went there, it was rather overcast and not much blooming - but the overall designs that I saw intrigued me - which brought up this idea.