Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Thursday, August 29, 2013

STARGAZER LILY

My Monday morning class expressed an interest in painting a Stargazer Lily. I have only painted one lily, that I can think of, so this was a new experience for me.

I decided that it was time for them to try a different support, and I chose hot press paper. This is a difficult surface to work on, and I figured that we would probably get some water blossoms, but that shouldn’t matter too much since we were painting a flower.

The progression of my demo painting follows.

I began with the stamens (??) pistols (?) (I never can remember what the middle parts are called!)
Next, I tried to capture the photo colors of the flower. I painted every other petal – so that the wet colors would not touch and run into one another.

1 comment:

RH Carpenter said...

OMG, this is looking gorgeous already!!!