Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Sunday, March 22, 2009

VENICE 1 (and more Clones!)

My daughter had the opportunity to go to Croatia and Italy a few years ago.

If there is one place in the world I could go, it would be Venice, so when she left I gave her an ultimatum – “When you go to Venice take lots of good pictures, or don’t come back.” (Ain’t I a great mom!) Terror struck my heart when she emailed me about her day in Venice, saying “If you’ve seen one canal you’ve seen ‘em all”. But, Darling Daughter that she is, she took lots of Venice pictures and quite a few of them are paint worthy. (She also brought me a glass chicken from Venice!)

So . . . . one day I was watching a TV show about Venice when I caught a glimpse of my painting on the TV screen! Just to be certain, I backed up the DVR and paused it and, yep, the picture on the TV screen was the identical view my daughter had taken a photo of and which I had painted!
Above is that painting.

Compare this painting to Sandy Maudlin’s Venice painting posted on 12/18/8-12/20/8 on her blog (http://sandymaudlin.blogspot.com/). Maybe my daughter was right – “seen one canal, seen ‘em all”! I thought these two paintings were very similar.

5 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

I think this painting is lovely, Deb. I like the colors you used. The link to Sandy's blog doesn't work, though - you left out the dot between Maudlin and blogspot.

debwardart said...

Oops! Thanks, I'll try to fix it!

Deb Léger said...

Ohhhhh, I love the sunlight in this painting!!! You've caught it so wonderfully! And the colour is beautiful, too. An all round beautiful painting!!!

My son just came back from Japan and I'm waiting (not so patiently) for him to lend me his memory card - I gave him the same instructions as you did to your daughter. "Bring me back tons of reference shots!"

Arti said...

Beautiful hues...great details..Feels like being present there.

debwardart said...

Deb - don't wait (he's a boy, he'll forget or leave it in his pocket and put it through the wash!) - grab it from him and copy it into your computer immediately!!!
Arti - looked (rather quickly) at your blog and love your photos - wow - talk about beautiful hues! So glad you stopped by and hope you come back (I'll be checking your blog, too).
Isn't it amazing to be able to contact with someone from half way around the world!