Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

GLASS BOTTLES - 2

Dr. Ph. Martin's Indiana inks on the left and my reference photo on the right.
I tried a little sampling of the DPM inks, and they didn’t seem quite as vibrant as I thought they would be.

It wasn’t until I really looked at the bottles of ink that I discovered that they are not acrylic inks but India inks! That explained why they weren’t quite as vibrant – oh well – guess that shows you have to really be aware when you are ordering something – as in – be “in the moment” and read the information – DUH!

They come in small (1 oz.) bottles with screw off tops, something I’m not used to, and they seem quite awkward for me to use. I’m hoping by the end of this process I’ll become more comfortable with them. So far I’ve had to decide if I need to pour some out (seems quite wasteful) or use a pipette to put some color onto a palette (paper plate in this case) which is what I chose to do.
A sampling of color combinations.
For my samples I formulated the colors above, which seem to me to very closely approximate the colors in the photo. I’m not really seeing much difference between the combos of Grass Green + Teal and Yellow + Teal, nor Blue + Teal and Blue + Green.

I also added some of the white to the Red and to the Magenta and did get two lovely, although quite opaque, pinks.

5 comments:

martinealison said...

De bien jolies couleurs, remplies d'éclat et de force...
Gros bisous

Vicki Greene said...

I like glass paintings and am looking forward to seeing how you handle this one!

Unknown said...

These look like you could really create some gorgeous effects with them. I can't wait to see the glass rendered with inks! It's going to be stunning, I already know!

Chris Beck said...

Hey Deb,
Way back in college, we used a liquid watercolor similar to this. Also in screw-top bottles. We used muffin tins for our palettes and, at the end of every class, took an eyedropper and transferred the unused paint back into the bottles. Laborious, but who could afford to throw it away?

Looking forward to seeing you work on this piece!!

debwardart said...

Thanks all for your comments.
Chris - good idea - I've got small plastic containers or could probably locate a muffin tin buried in the cupboard - I'll have to give that a try.