Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

SHOWS


You may have noticed on my sidebar, two of my recent paintings have been accepted into shows.

Of course, any time that I am juried into a show, especially a national show, I’m thrilled! But I also realize that there are many, many entries in these shows, and varied jurors looking at those entries, so I’m not going to make it into all of the shows I enter.

Case in point, this year as always (or so it seems!) the painting I entered into TWSA was not accepted. This has now become a matter of pride and I’m even more determined to get into that show some day, so I’ll “keep on keepin’ on” and try, try again.

When I have a strong painting that is not accepted into a show, it can sting. But I don’t let it get me down for more than a few minutes! I’ve had several paintings that were not accepted into one show, but then accepted into the next one.

An honest judge will tell you that the judging process is subjective, and that, had they looked at those same paintings on another day they may have juried in a far different show.

So, my words of wisdom to those of you who get upset when you are “rejected” are:
• enjoy and celebrate your successes (preferably with friends and wine!)
• don’t let the rejections get you down but instead –
• review and re-critique your paintings to see where you may need to make improvements, and –
• KEEP ON TRYING!

No comments: