Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Thursday, August 16, 2012

COVERED BRIDGE COMMISSION - 6


The main trees and posts were added, more snow and the tracks were darkened into the bridge.

At this point, I feel like it’s almost there, maybe a couple more “tweaks”.


However, at this point I wanted Rick to take a look at the painting to see if it was going to meet his expectations.

The photograph that I was given had very little color in it – the bridge was just brown, no definition of any kind, you couldn’t really see where the bridge ended, and there was tons of snow on the trees and a lot of bluish cast in the background, no discernible sky. But, since that was the photo I was given, I didn’t know if I had taken too many liberties with color. So, at this point, I could still make any changes he wanted or, worst case scenario, start all over or just “fuhgeddaboudit”.

When he came to view the painting I had it draped with a towel prior to the big “reaveal”! I explained that I had put a lot more color into it but that changes could be made and that nothing he said could hurt my feelings. I didn’t want him to feel like he had to accept the painting just to make me feel good!

While he liked the painting overall, he had a different vision for the back of the bridge. He wanted it to fade so that you could not see what was there - i.e., he wanted the bridge to be a symbol of our passage into the unknown. That was actually what I thought he wanted, even though he had not stated it at the beginning, and I should have gone with my “gut feeling”.

2 comments:

Ginny Stiles said...

So Deb...are you going to have to soften the back the bridge or can you talk him into this version? I LOVE...absolutely LOVE this painting. You are getting better and better and better! FAntanstically beautiful work and I hate to think of you trying to "mess" with what looks like a perfect painting! This is not oil or acrylic. What will you do?

debwardart said...

Ginny - actually, this is fluid acrylic, not w/c. Check the next post!
Honda, thanks for your comment.