Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Friday, September 21, 2012

RANDOM THOUGHTS - QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS . . .

As part of the acceptance process for both the OWS and the NWS show, I was asked to answer questions/statements for the show.

Whenever I’m asked for my “artist statement” or to answer artistic questions, I always feel a little like a Miss America contestant – my mind immediately begins to swirl and my inner blonde awakens! What kind of information do they REALLY want – should I try to sound “artsy” – do they want some high brow “art speak” – will my answer sound stupid – what the heck does this MEAN? – who really cares?

You get the drift.

So I wrote up my answers, reading and re-reading them until I finally gave up and sent in the form.

Hope they serve whatever purpose they were intended, and no one thinks (or knows) that I’m a real dope about those things.

1 comment:

Ginny Stiles said...

Robert Genn had a hilarious response to "artist statement" questions on his blog a few weeks ago. I am going to go and see if I can find it for you. He especially laughed at people who talk about them selves in the 3rd person. "Ginny loves to add Zentangles to her drawings and she explores WC..." blah blah. He thinks that is hilarious. Obviously he doesn't take much stock in the artist statement or even putting AWS after you name or anything. I think I would be apt to be as funny as possible so that at least if some one read it, they would have a good laugh!