Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Thursday, December 6, 2012

BLAME IT ON GINNY STILES!


Uh, oh - not Zentangles!!!!!
Drat that Ginny Stiles!

She has been creating Zentangle art and posting it on her blog.

She even sent me a Zentangle birthday card!

The nerve of that woman!

At first it just looked interesting – a harmless enough observation.

Then it looked more interesting, but I decided it looked too involved to try.

Then I decided, “well, it DOES look INTERESTING and it couldn’t hurt to look into it a bit more.”

Then I bought a book on Zentangles from Amazon, but only because I was already on the Amazon site for another purpose and I could use an additional item to get up over that free shipping point.

Then I received and opened the Zentangle book but didn’t have any Micron pens, so I was still safe.

But yet another email from Jerry’s Artarama boasting yet another sale prompted me to place an order, and, of course, just a bit more would get me to the free shipping point, so a set of Micron pens would put me over the proscribed total and, it couldn’t hurt, right?

Then I had the Zentangle book and the Micron pens, but no appropriate Zentangle tiles. So what, I’ve got more than a fair share of watercolor paper which seems serviceable.

So I cut out a few 3.5x3.5 pieces of watercolor paper, picked up the Zentangle book and Micron pens, and sat down to begin reading.

It didn’t take long and I was learning my first “tangle” pattern. Then another. Then I tried them both again, and began to learn a third, into which I incorporated circles, which may or may not be another “tangle” pattern, I’m not that far along in the book. But, I can’t let that stop me, now, can I?

My 2nd and 3rd Zentangles.
A trip to the mall for tires created a need to drive on down the road to Hobby Lobby on my way home to check out the pen section. BE ADVISED, Nanoliners are no match for the Micron pens (they bleed). But Pilot Precise V5, purchased at Staples, are very fine and seem to work just as well as the Micron pens and are less expensive. And they come in colors!

“I wonder if I could create a chicken Zentangle?” (I bet I can . . . .)

“Could I incorporate some words into a Zentangle?” (We shall see . . . . .)

I put down the Zentangle book, but it called to me every day.

I don’t think I’m addicted, I mean, I CAN put that book and pens down any time I want to. I really can. I don’t have to pick them up and “doodle”. No, I really don’t . . . . why are my eyes and fingers twitching? . . . why is drool coming from my mouth . . . . why do I have to draw more. . . MORE . . . MORE . . . could it be that I’m addicted to Zentangles? Oh, say it ain’t so!

Ginny Stiles, I’m coming to get you . . . . . you are a BAD woman!

7 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Oh, dear! Another one bites the dust! ha ha

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Its amazing how Zentangle is so meditative. I've only worked / played on a couple, but it is addictive.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Oh no Deb! You have become what so many of my art friends have become...a tangler! It all happens just like it happened to you, then they become addicted/hooked/hopelessly entangled in tangles! They have tried, so far unsucessfully, to draw me into their happy group; but I have seen what happens and am still not one of "them".

As you can see from some of my former comments on your intricate paintings, I have seen the coming of Zentangle in your paintings, so I am not surprised.

I do think these suit your detailed style, and wish you well in your rehab!

martinealison said...

Des oeuvres formidables... Je suis heureuse de vous visiter à nouveau aujourd'hui...
J'aime la rigueur du trait.

Gros bisous.

Ginny Stiles said...

Hahahahaha!
Gottcha!

I mean this is totally freaking fun.
You are amazing!
Welcome to Zentangle!

debwardart said...

Rhonda - well . . . maybe!
Nancy - you are right! I have just enough OCD that I can see where it would become addictive.
Susan - I am plotting and planning how I can possibly use my new found "talent" somehow! Oh - the possibilities!
Martine - glad you like them - and thanks for visiting!
Ginny - I'm not speaking to you anymore (ha, ha)!!!

Ginny Stiles said...

Got your amazing Christmas card, Deb.
Wow.
Thank you and Merry Merry Christmas!