Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Friday, March 7, 2008

Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society (GCWS)

This Wednesday was the monthly Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society meeting. It was “out with the old and in with the new” as we installed a new president and paid tribute to our out-going president, Sandy Maudlin, whom some of you know.

I was in Sandy’s first watercolor class she taught in this area, so I’ve known her many years and have watched her grow as an artist and a teacher.

Some years ago she was invited to give a workshop in Savannah, GA and she invited me and another friend to go along to act as “go fers”. (What the heck – a free trip to Savannah – I’m in!!) I can still remember sitting her paintings up around the room and being absolutely amazed at the progression they represented. There were the paintings I had admired a few years before alongside her more recent endeavors – it was like watching an evolution - just amazing!

While I will probably never achieve the same level of art that Sandy has, I can now see that same progression in my own paintings!

No matter where our lives take us, my thanks to her for opening up my world in ways I could never have imagined all those years ago.

And, by the way, congrats to our new “Madame President”, Shirley Knollman, who I know will do a great job. Shirley is energetic and gregarious and will make the next two years of the GCWS a fun ride!

1 comment:

Sandy Maudlin said...

Thanks, Deb, for the kind words. And you have no problem 'attaining' artistic status. Your caseins are just incredible. Just don't leave the watercolor out 'cause you have a really beautiful way of making the colors flow.
I'm very glad you enjoy teaching, too. It's so fulfilling to see people create beauty, as you do!