Deb Ward, GWS, OWS, PWS, WSI - WATERCOLOR/WATER MEDIA - My passion is teaching adult “beginners”. Weekly classes in my home; workshops; classes for Cincinnati Recreation Commission. My work is nationally recognized and published - see “Featured” on my sidebar. I’m a Signature Member of Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana state Watercolor Societies, Cincinnati Art Club, past-President of Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society. Contact info below under “Class Information”

Thursday, May 6, 2010

ANOTHER SHAKER VILLAGE

Just another quick post about the Shakers.
These photos are from the Shaker village in our area – about 20 minutes from my house. My husband and I had driven past these buildings a few years ago and I knew they were Shaker, but that’s all. Spending time in KY last week piqued my curiosity and we drove out there the other evening to take another look. I have learned that there is a group trying to restore the buildings.

At Shaker Village in KY there was a real village with most of the buildings in one central location. Here they are spread out into 3 separate “villages” a few miles apart, so I think it will be much harder for this group to get this organized for a tourist area. But, I love history and it’s really neat to realize that these buildings remain from the early 1800’s – there is even a cemetery that we will have to go back and explore.  And this building is the meeting house - single door (!) and one of the oldest brick Shaker buildings.

Just thought I’d share!

1 comment:

Vicki Greene said...

Great photos Deb. Looking forward to seeing what you will do with them.